If I am not mistaken it was Marcus Samuelsson who said during one of the Food Network shows “Next Iron Chef” that biscuits come from Poland. (shame on you Samuelsson, shame on you!)
I lived in Poland for 26 years and I had never seen on heard about biscuits before I came to US. When I first heard that word: “biscuit” immediately I thought about sweet cracker. Actually I would have been right if I was in GB but I am not so I had to get used to to a biscuit being a flour-based savory bun🙂
I don’t actually care much about the name. I like ’em both ways.
What I care is that their origin is not Poland – sweet nor savory!!! – mister world class chef and “Best Chef of New York” (2003).
I made those biscuits weeks ago but I am really behind (and lost) in posting pictures and recipes… .
I really liked how their tasted but my main mistake was too much flour and overworked dough. They came out a little bit too thick and doughy inside.
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 6 Tbsp. cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup grated Cheddar
- 2 Tbsp. chopped green onions (green part)
- 1/4 cup flax seed meal
- 1 cup cold whole milk
- 2 Tbsp. melted unsalted butter for brushing (optional)
Preheat oven to 425F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. In a large bowl combine flour, salt, baking powder and mix well. Add cold butter, cheese, green onions and flax seed meal. Use a blender or fingertips to mix in butter until mixture is crumbly. It’s ok if a few pieces of cheese and butter remains visible and not mixed well. Add milk and gently mix to moisten. Do not overwork the dough, it should be rough and sticky.
Turn dough out onto a large floured work surface and kneed gently into ball. Roll dough into a 1/2-inch thick circle. Cut out small biscuits using 1 inch cookie cutter (I used a glass bigger than 1 inch in diameter). Place biscuits about 1 inch apart on baking sheets. Lightly brush tops with melted butter.
Bake until lightly browned on top, 15-18 minutes. ( I baked mine 20 minutes).
- Rachel’s Very Beginner’s Cream Biscuits (thedailymeal.com)
- La la la YUM! 25 Days of Yum – Biscuits (21nogluten.wordpress.com)
- Sweet Potato Biscuits (thecooksnextdoor.com)
- Butter Biscuits (charlotte.news14.com)
- Cheddar Chipotle Biscuits (threecleversisters.com)
- Savory Blue Cheese Biscuits from Lisa Dupar…..great for soups and chili! (chanteusedesigns.wordpress.com)